Industry:Aerospace, Aviation & Defense
Job Category:Engineering – Mechanical
Location: Sacramento, CA
Active Security Clearance: Yes
The Mechanical Subsystems Directorate (MSD) is seeking a Principal Mechanical Engineer at our Sacramento site that is responsible for solid rocket motor nozzle design. The candidate should have significant experience in the design, fabrication and testing of a variety of nozzle configurations including simple fixed nozzles and complex, movable nozzles. The candidate should also be familiar with different industry nozzle materials and manufacturing processes associated with the fabrication of nozzles as well as the development testing and qualification of nozzles for production.
Candidate will be responsible to requirements as it pertains to environmental loading and flow down to mechanical sub-systems, putting forth and leading the mechanical architecture of a product, leading the design phase enabling early cycles of learning, establishing critical design elements and processes, leading the delivery of the Tech Data Package (TDP), influence integration & qualification plans and model correlation, and maintain the design integrity during the production sustainment life cycle.
This position will focus on design, analysis, fabrication, integration and testing of solid rocket motor nozzles. The candidate will be expected to effectively present their work in program and business unit reviews and to provide expert counseling and mentoring. The selected candidate will be expected to lead diverse teams, providing technical oversight to a team often comprised of cross functional disciplines, leveraging their network of Subject Matter Experts.
The candidate will perform a wide variety of design tasks in support of the engineering and manufacturing organizations. They will develop solutions to a variety of complex problems using established precedents and policies for guidance. The work is performed without appreciable direction either individually, in a team environment, or in a supervisory capacity. The senior level designer will use Computer Aided Design (CAD) systems to prepare mechanical design layouts, detail and assembly drawings and models (including but not limited to packaging, mechanisms, and castings) and related documentation in conformance to appropriate program and/or military specifications. The candidate will also be responsible for control and release of drawings/models using data management tools such as Windchill.
As a Principal Engineer, the individual is expected to function without appreciable direction or supervision exercising considerable latitude in defining terms and conditions of deliverables in collaboration across Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain, and Quality. Candidates should possess and articulate a proven record of delivered performance through data driven decision making, risk and opportunity management, and systems thinking to assure delivered product performance relative to the brand name. Additionally, the candidate will promote a teaching culture in developing new talent through intentional engagement of early career and mid-level engineers to share knowledge, lessons learned, and best practices.
Education & Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Minimum of ten (10) years of mechanical design experience in solid rocket motors
- Expert experience of CREO Parametric (Pro/Engineer) solid modeling CAD tool and expert using Windchill data management (PDM) tool
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) in
- Conceptual, developmental, and production design phases
- Basic principles, theories and concepts for creation and preparation of engineering design documentation
- Ability to identify and correct design, model, or drawing errors/omissions/deficiencies and recommend corrective actions or improvements
- Expert knowledge with the ability to perform complex tasks such as preparation of all types of detail drawings, large assemblies, castings or other preforms, interface drawings, various layouts for design concepts, and many other high-level tasks
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) expert and perform first order tolerance analysis
- Experience with leading teams and projects and demonstrates leadership skills
- Ability to obtain secret clearance, with US Citizenship
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities from multiple sources
- Demonstrated ability to put forth and drive technical execution plans
- Experience with and presenting to FRB, ERB, CCB, MRB, PCB, PMAB, etc.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; ability to learn and use internal tools
- Effective interpersonal, communication and networking skills, ability to work well with others including customers and suppliers
- Motivated self-starter with strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work in a team environment with timely problem resolution utilizing a professional, positive, proactive attitude, strong customer focus, and a desire to help others
- Ability to recognize roadblocks/issues and elevate/suggest appropriate corrective action
- Strong attention to detail and work ethic
- Existing DoD Secret clearance preferred
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment