Health and Safety Environmental Engineer
The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of health, safety and environmental (HSE) consistent with the organization PLC requirements. This position is responsible for coordinating and administering the organization HSE policies and procedures in conjunction with the long term HSE goals of the company. The position is also responsible for assisting in implementing HSE programs at the assigned locations and for minimizing company safety losses and environmental impacts, as well as to assure compliance with applicable HSE laws and regulations.
The objective is to reduce health and safety losses by establishing and enforcing effective health and safety policies and loss control programs; developing a culture that proactively engages in anticipating and preventing hazardous conditions; developing and providing HSE compliance training; and by engaging management commitment and support to drive the appropriate behaviors that prevent injuries or illnesses in the workplace.
The successful candidate for the HSE Engineer position should have a good working knowledge of environmental, health and safety regulations, including air emission regulations applicable to the assigned facilities, waste regulations, hazardous materials management requirements, health and safety regulations and requirements, and best practices within the manufacturing industry.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Lead and coordinate HSE compliance programs at the assigned facilities
- Develop, implement, and maintain written health, safety and environmental programs consistent with applicable legal requirements and PLC requirements
- Develop, implement and perform required HSE training necessary to meet all legal/governmental requirements and to meet training standards
- Provide day-to-day assistance and guidance to management and employees as needed on HSE matters including, but not limited to, regulatory compliance issues, risk assessments, loss prevention measures, training requirements and needs, industrial hygiene monitoring, accident prevention procedures and investigations, behavioral safety measures, hazardous waste and materials management, air emission controls, waste water and storm water management and environmental impact analysis.
- Develop and maintain records, data and other documentation to demonstrate compliance with recordkeeping requirements set forth in applicable HSE laws and regulations and consistent with the organizations
- Develop and implement an internal health, safety and environmental audit and inspection programs as required by applicable HSE regulations and consistent with PLC requirements. Develop and track action plans to address findings and recommendations identified in the internal audit program as well as the PLC external auditing program.
- Assist assigned facilities in the preparation and submittal of all HSE permit applications as necessary to maintain compliance with HSE laws and regulations and keep such permits current. Also, communicate with appropriate regulatory agencies as necessary to establish appropriate permit conditions as required under applicable law.
- Collect, verify, analyze, prepare HSE data and corporate responsibility HSE metrics and other information; prepare and submit reports in a timely manner as required by applicable HSE requirements, permit conditions and by PLC policies and procedures.
None at this time
QUALIFICATIONS: The essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Background in facility audits, customer service and employee training as well as excellent oral and written communication skills
- Competency in developing, implementing, and monitoring accident prevention programs, policies, and procedures to ensure continuous safe working conditions in accordance with State, Federal, and Local laws and regulations to assist the site in striving to achieve Zero Accident / lost time injuries.
- Understanding of risk management and loss control strategies to assist site in evaluating and assessing workers’ compensation losses.
- Ability to analyze loss control metrics and communicate various claims management
- Principles and tactics for purposes of reducing direct and indirect impact of workers’ compensation claims.
- Strong background in understanding and implementing Environmental management
- compliance systems including Air quality management, hazardous waste and material
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science/Engineering, Safety Studies or related disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- 3+ years Environmental Health &Safety experience preferred.
- Proven background in building and working with collaborative teams.
- Ability to travel 10-20% of the time.
- Ability to meet deadlines, multi-task and effectively and professionally deal with customers and external contacts to the Company.
- Strong leadership and problem-solving skills. Ability to work independently.
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
PERSONAL TRAIT PROFILE:
- Excellent communicator and team-builder
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and organizational skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Multi-tasker, flexible, open minded
- Analytical, fact based problem solver
- Commitment to continuous Improvement
- Decisive, fair, consistent
- High degree of attention to detail
- Strong sense of urgency
- Stress tolerant in a fast paced, result oriented manufacturing environment
- Position reports directly to the Director of Operations
- Internal relationships exist with all functional areas
- External relationships exist with suppliers, limited interface with customers
MEASURES OF PERFORMANCE:
- Regulatory audits
- Zero accidents
- Low Workman’s Compensation claims
SCOPE AND IMPACT OF POSITION AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
EHS engineer position – responsible for environmental, occupational health and safety programs and projects in a team environment. Identify hazardous workplace conditions and take appropriate actions to minimize; responsibility for advancing and developing EHS programs; support emergency response activities; develop and implement EHS management systems to integrate EHS into the business operations; work with various levels of site and operational management to establish and execute processes and systems that support and reinforce management system elements; interpret federal, state and local regulations; recommend and develop appropriate strategies to address company EHS policies and regulatory requirements. Excellent written, communication and project management skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and taste or smell. The employee occasionally may lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|Job Category||Aerospace/Aviation, Engineering, Health & Safety|