Location: Baltimore, MD
Seeking an experience and results-driven Business Development (BD) leader with progressive experience and relations within the DoD marketplace selling directly to prime DoD contractors (ie. Lockheed, Raytheon, Harris, Boeing, etc.). This is a field sales position with a heavy focus on radomes and requires someone with strong industry knowledge and hunter mentality.
Serves as primary Business Development (BD) leader for all products and programs. Assists the President in developing the organization’s overall strategic business development plan and directs and executes the marketing of company products and/or services. Serves as primary customer contact for new business.
Manages and directs all phases of new business capture and marketing including opportunity identification, campaign development and capture planning, supporting trade shows, exhibitions advertising and social media. Supports proposal preparation, negotiation, and program start-up. Provides Customer conduit and seamless interface between external customers to internal programs.
In concert with the senior leadership team, develops and maintains overall marketing strategy and tactics to capture targeted programs and achieve company business goals and objectives. Provides advice and guidance to other functional departments to ensure overall product and market effectiveness. Works closely with Engineering to ensure practical application of technology to new product and market development. Provides input to and manages the Research & Development and Bid & Proposal budgets.
Provides forecasts of new business awards for inclusion into the company’s financial plan. Serves as primary representative of the organization for intra-company business development activities.
Business Development and Sales staff
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervises and coordinates Marcom activity in support of the achievement of the company’s Critical Goals. Monitors department travel and activities/retains accountability.
- Directs the targeting and development of new business opportunities and customers.
- Ensures that potential customers are fully apprised of the company’s technical and management capabilities.
- Oversees and coordinates the development of B&P and IR&D budgets and projects, together with the head of Engineering.
- In coordination with the President, is responsible for development and implementation of strategic plan.
- Directs research, information gathering, and analysis and oversees the creation of marketing strategies, sales projections, and profit estimates.
- Directs the development of tailored business / proposal strategies designed to maximize the company’s chances of securing the targeted program(s).
- Suggests pricing strategy.
- Solicits Agreements (PDA, Teaming, etc.)
- Supports customer negotiations.
- Maintains customer contact throughout the business/product cycle.
- Supervises and coordinates the development and production of sales literature and advertising.
- Uses and coordinates personnel from other departments (Engineering, Contracts, Operations and Pricing) to assist in company business development efforts.
- Directs the activities of outside marketing consultants and representatives.
- Establishes annual budgets for the business development function.
- Regularly directs the preparation of reports of annual forecasts for inclusion in the company’s financial plan.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned by the President.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S./BSc) from four-year college or university or equivalent; and at least 10 years related experience and/or training.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Business preferred – Post-graduate business courses desirable.
- Minimum 5-years’ experience in DoD marketplace at the tier-2 or tier-4 level.
- Specific experience in defense electronics is desirable and understanding of antennas and radomesis a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquires or complaints.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to present coherent, well-organized and effective briefings to customers and company senior management.
- Requires strong proposal writing skills.
- Basic engineering and business administration with the ability to apply concepts of basic engineering using algebra and geometry.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Must relate to and interface effectively with all employees and multiple departments and levels within the Company and with Corporate Management.
- Must have the ability to accomplish work through others in a matrix management environment.
- Required to frequently interact with various outside contacts, especially customers.
- Must be a team player with strong leadership and “deal-closing” skills.
- Access to sensitive information -confidentiality required.
Basic PC knowledge, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS PowerPoint
Physical/Mental Demands & Work Environment
Position involves sitting, standing and/or walking. Position requires ability to frequently exert up to 10 pounds of force to move objects and occasionally exert up to 20 pounds of force to move objects. The work site is an industrial manufacturing operation and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required in some aspects of the role. Work usually performed in air-conditioned office environment. The position requires frequent travel estimated at 20%-40%.
Eligibility for a U.S. Government security clearance is required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. An employee may also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
|Job Category||Aerospace/Aviation, Sales/Business Development|